Mad Max: Fury Road review - Technically world-class, but crazily insane! Wondering why it is rated 8.8 on IMDB..

Before: A few weeks ago, I had watched the 3-D preview of this movie and it impressed upon me as a B-Grade production. This week, there's been a lot of rave reviews on this one, online, and people have also been talking about it. What’s more, it’s rated 8.8 on IMDB! So, I decided to check it out, even though sci-fi apocalyptic movies are not my favorite genre…

After: Well, I'm still not sure what all the hype is about... Probably not my kind of film.

The experience: "Really?" and "Are you kidding me?!" were two of the PG-13 thoughts that crossed my mind when I was into the first 20-minutes of the movie.

It looks like we are ported to a futuristic era when water is sparse and a luxury. So much so that the citizens (slaves, rather!) of Citadel are ordered by their evil warlord and head, Immortan Joe, not to get addicted to it! His followers believe that they will have their place in Valhalla, someday, much like the Jihadis believe they have 72-virgins waiting for them in Heaven. One such follower is Nux.

The story revolves around the fight for Survival of Furiosa and Max. Nux, a potential betrayer tags along with Max, Furiosa and Co (The Five Wives) in what is a technically brilliant film. Set at just two hours and five minutes, their escape from Citadel in search of freedom and the Green Place, and their return to Citadel, for the right reasons this time, is a well-timed effort and never seems too long.

The 3-D is so world-class that you feel like it is all happening right in front of your 2-D eyes... real time... but other than that, I could not connect with the film. Found it ridiculous and blah at times. What's up with Tom Hardy and his Bain-like appearances each time.

A good actor though, but I think that it's Charlize Theron's and Nicholas Hoult's movie all the way. After George Miller’s, that is... the director has come up with a superlative manifestation on to the big screen. A very tough movie to make, brilliantly done on 3-D, with great eye for detail, background music and sound. Very, very pleasing on the eye.

The director has restrained himself immaculately and shows us how gore is not a necessity to depict a tale of survival post-catastrophe and destruction. Especially where there are people eaters. Unless it was cleverly censored in this part of the world, which seems unlikely, though, here...

And I never thought of this, but it sure sounded very creative - my favourite dialogue in the film.

Someone asks, What are you doing?
Response: Praying.
To who?
The answer is, "To Anyone Who's Listening."

Too much of the dusty desert, the rusty dune-buggies, and the brown landscapes made me thirsty and restless by the end, wanting to rush out of the movie-hall.

The blood bag to me during the movie was the surreal 3-D and the music!

Tom Hardy may be a good actor, but he is mostly a puppet here, and on a lighter note, I found it ‘apt’ for that he revives Furiosa through blood transfusion than resuscitation.

FURY road - FURIosa - good selection of name there, I thought...

Comments

Unknown said…
Loved your review!
manu :)
Sekhar said…
Thank you, Manu! Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to read, again. Means a lot...