10 Cloverfield Lane film review - Sci-fi psychological thriller with an impressive climax, good scope for acting...

A lady leaves her boyfriend one day over an argument and starts driving, when she is hit by a vehicle on the highway. She wakes up to realize that she is now a captive in a basement-house. Howard, her 'host' claims to have saved her from the accident and informs her that there was either a chemical or a nuclear attack and the air above is fatally contaminated. She doesn't buy it, and soon meets another 'guest' in the house - Emmett.

The film is crisp, but is still gave me a feel of having watched an episode of a series. Too short, maybe! It also gave me a deja vu of Saw, when Michelle finds herself in the room, but I must admit that Mary Elizabeth Winstead holds her own, along with Howard (played by the dependable veteran John Goodman), who reminded me of Shammi Kapoor in the '80s.

The climax is very good and typical JJ Abrams, who has produced this film. I was not aware until the credits started rolling that it was not directed by Abrams himself, for the terrific climax brought me back memories of Super 8.

The hugest plus - it keeps you engaged; and has some good theme and background score by J Mccreary.

I soon need to watch "Cloverfield". That should be interesting, too.

There were barely thirty people in the hall and thought it was either badly publicized as that did not do justice to a film that is atypical.

A good sci-fi film with an impressive climax, overall.

My verdict: 2.5 stars, out of 5.

Comments