Kannada film "Thithi' - Of simpletons and celebration of death, through life's struggles...

I thought that the director Raam Reddy knew the exact formula for a national award winning movie, where you take elements like a village backdrop, the villagers, their simple lives, petty fights (over sheep, for instance), and ways to make ends meet.

The tale is a dramedy depicting reality in the villages. Century Gowda dies at 101 and the film shows us the poverty hardships that his grandson and great-grandson go through, in hosting his thithi (eleventh day celebration following someone's death.) And Gowda's nonchalant octogenarian son, Gaddappa (Gadda meaning beard, appa is a respectable address given to a male - the man with the beard), certainly doesn't help, as he is only interested in smoking beedis and drinking Tiger whisky.

Like father, like son! Two generations - that of Century Gowda and his son - do not seem to care about wealth or inheritance. Whereas Thamanna and his son Abhi appear to be more worldly and greedy.

I also saw irony in how someone is valued more after death, as in the opening scene where no one gives a damn about Century Gowda, when he is alive and kicking!

Thithi is a charming film, and I echo Anurag Kashyap's sentiments. I too can watch this over and over again, and never get bored. So much so that I felt that the ending was incomplete - yeh dil maange more (?) - lol!

Technically sound, the director proves you don't need a big budget to make a sound quality film like this... something that the mainstream Kannada filmmakers can learn from. There is never a dull moment in the movie, and I was reminded of this Tamil art film, Ucchi Veyil (1989).

Glad they had subtitles for the language was rural and earthy. The music was pretty pleasing.

The film is authentic and realism seems to be the acting style the director has wisely chosen, for it surely touches you, eminently. Did not feel like you were watching actors, but actual characters, in the South Indian village of Nodekoppalu.

Abhishek H N was a natural to me, and charms with his smile.

At 2 hours and 4 minutes, I thought that the the screenplay and editing was good. It has some commendable sound effects by Nithin Lukose.

My verdict4 out of 5 stars.

I came and home my family asked me where I went. I told them, "Just back from Thithi." Dad asked me to go shower, without realizing that it was just a movie I had gone to. :D

Comments